Thursday, November 09, 2006

No fog or mountains brown, but this place bogs you down

The first report from the productive north of this bootshaped country.
I feel like I've fallen straight into a parallel reality, where everything is similar to our world, but the details do make the difference, a lot of difference!
These people breathe oxygen, they eat, work, do all the accessory things you can imagine, but they live in a unconfessed calvinist world that traps them in a absorbing routine of "I work now, but I'll work tomorrow also. Hmmm. Then' I'd better rush lock myself home as soon as I finish working to recover and be ready to work again tomorro".
As simple as it may seem, this simply submerged philosophy permeates the entire social and civil life, thus creating in those 2 lines an entire world made up of rushing people in the daytime, and emptied from 7p.m. to the next morning, a curfewed world of silence and loneliness in a matter of minutes.
In 10 minutes after 7:30, all the souls go to heaven, so the unenlightened ones have to stay and step on this purgatory...

In truth, the place has a big plus: people work and produce a lot, and everybody can find a job, but the purpouse of living/working here still escapes me: with prices of bread well above 3€ per Kg (not to mention the prices of things one'd like to eat with bread), fog, loneliness, narrowmindedness and (God forgive me) ugly women (average), it's a tough call.
Especially after 3 wonderful months in Naples, where the sea permeates every aspect of life, food is astounding and cheap, and people are open and chaotic (maybe a little too much actually :D it can get a little difficoult to adapt...

But, as my friend Giulio says "We suffer but we live!", so I'll hold on until January, when I'll embark on my next kievian crusade.

Why I write these lines?
Because my memory betrays me always! I know that in a little time I'll start remembering sweetly also this place, and I don't want! :D


powered by performancing firefox

6 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I wonder where you are,
how are you?
Hugs from Istanbul
Dorota

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Azoele said...

Istanbul???
Wow, Dorota, you never stop amazing me...

Write me an email, I don't have your address anymore.
I'd love to write you.

Happy Istanbulling :-)
azoele@katamail.com
(my email)

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well...what could have happened to my email adress...I hope you havent deletded???
I will write you soon,
but where are you?

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lory I wrote you an email, did you got it?
Dorota

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice to find you again, lory...

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ma dove sei finito?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home